Emanuel Cinca, aka Manu
My story starts in Lipova, Romania, a town of about 10,000 inhabitants, where I was born in a working class family. Growing up in a family that had a shaky financial base and relied solely on month to month wages, and sometimes on short term loans from friends, I knew that I a) didn’t want to get a regular job EVER, and b) I want to have true financial independence.
Fast forward to my high school days, I got admitted into the number one high school of Arad county, “Moise Nicoara” National College. Don’t ask me why they call it a college, that’s just the translation from Romanian. I had a passion for technology and computers, so it seemed natural that I wanted to get into the so called informatics class.
The 4 years here taught me that:
1. Where you come from has little to no impact on your ability to learn, your skills and their value
2. Being number one high school is overrated
3. In the standard educational system, you are not allowed to excel at something, until you have proven to be above average at everything else.
4. Grades are an extremely flawed measurement of someone’s skills
5. I know myself better than anyone else, so I should make my decisions, not anyone else, and I should be OK with the consequences.
These learnings will be reflected in some of my posts here.
After high school, I quit University after 2 months in… TWICE! One time I quit Computers and Information Technology, and the second time I quit Business Administration.
During these years I also developed a passion for poker. I was a content producer at the world’s biggest online poker school for 2 years, and I wrote a book with a Maths professor from Nottingham and TT, who also blogs here. The book is called The Education of a Modern Poker Player.
I moved to Vienna in 2013, at TT’s initiative, and had several failed ventures together, all leading up to what is now Adefy.
I have a keen interest in psychology and in data, which makes performance marketing such a great industry for me. I blog about these topics, sometimes adding education, personal development, and management to the mix.
Interested in: Psychology. Marketing. Management. Investing. Startups. Entrepreneurship.
Hobbies: Reading. Fitness. Football. Travelling.
Connect with me: